The Capitoline museums were born in 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV donated to the People of Rome some bronze statues.
Successive popes expanded this collection with works found during excavations in Rome and Vatican.
The museums collections are displayed in two buildings: Palazzo dei Conservatori and Palazzo Nuovo. These two buidings are linked by an underground tunnel which houses the Epigraphic Gallery and leads to into the ancient Tabularium (beneath Palazzo Senatorio).
These three buildings (Palace of the conservatories, Palazzo Nuovo and Palazzo Senatorio) enclose Piazza del Campidoglio